Monday, March 31, 2008

Amazing Strength

I am writing this post because I need an outlet. I have been crying off and on since I got home from tutoring today. These tears are not for myself, but instead because I am so angry and sad. Before spring break the parents of one of my students were reported to social services. I support reporting families 100%, but for some reason I was very nervous about this one. I came to the decision that I was so anxious because I would not see him for ten days, and the parents ALWAYS know how the information got to the schools. I worried about him all of break, and was actually pretty eager to get back just to make sure he was okay.

The guidance counselor came to my room this morning and said that social services did investigate, and the claim of child abuse was founded. Then the little boy didn't come to school today. I've had a knot in my stomach since this morning that just won't go away. I love all my students dearly, and after over a hundred days of school, my students are like my own children. As soon as my resource came, I went to the guidance counselor for an update. She said that the parents came in today, and claimed that they didn't need to show proof of residence because they are moving to another school! My heart just sank...

This child has been in and out of homes, and motels for some time now. He would spend hours sleeping in my classroom, and I would let him. He has so much potential, and against all the odds, went from a 4 reading level to a 12 in just 9 wks! It just hurts me that children have to go through so much pain, and yet they remain so resilient. The last day before break, I overheard him tell another child "I don't want to go on break, I wish I could stay with Ms. Dolan". How I wish I could have taken him home with me!

I don't know what is happening, and I do not know what is going to happen...so please, say a prayer for this little soul.

No comments: