Friday, December 21, 2007

A Little Christmas Miracle

I received a phone call from my client yesterday at around 3:00 in the afternoon. I highly anticipated this birth, not only because of the beautiful event that would transpire, but also because this was hopefully going to be my certification birth. I had a very small window of time left in order to finish. I arrived at the hospital at 6:30pm. My client was a first time mom, so they had many questions as the process unfolded. They were actually already at the hospital visiting her sister on the seventh floor that was recovering from brain surgery, when her water broke. For those that know what this means, my client went from two centimeters dilated to ten in only six hours. I was amazed how wonderful she was doing, and how fast the laboring process was proceeding. She only pushed for around an hour, and then her beautiful baby girl made her appearance into this world.

This was the sixth birth I have attended, and while the process is never the same, it will always be one of the most miraculous events I have ever witnessed. It is such an honor to be able to participate in such a special and intimate event. I watch as each story unfolds, and a family is instantly born. The love that fills each delivery room can not be harnessed, as tears of joy flow freely. Two of my favorite aspects of a delivery are the mother's reaction the moment her baby is delivered, and the father's instantaneous love for his little one that is formed right at the warmer.

Every birth I attend adds another beautiful mark on my heart. I grow and learn about the beauty of birth, and the strength of human nature joined as a couple. As tired as I am right now, I am glowing...because I just saw a Christmas miracle.

No comments: