Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Art of Belly Dance

I started belly dancing five months ago to get out and try something new. I had no idea at the time just how much I would enjoy it. Belly dancing is like no other type of dance. It combines tradition, a good work out, and a celebration of womanhood. While the dance may appear sexual in nature, its purpose goes much deeper. Women learn to feel more comfortable with their bodies and a firm inner confidence begins to build. The dance is difficult, and I never thought I was a good dancer, but I am on the verge of entering the intermediate class. I guess dancing in front of the mirror, in the car, while cooking, and brushing my teeth has its benefits!

My instructor assists in hosting a live belly dance show once a month at Positive Vibe Cafe. I watched my first show there a week ago. The atmosphere is incredibly warming! The restaurant prides itself on healthy living and training those who are mentally and/or physically challenged. The dancers moved among tables and chairs in full belly dance dress. It was very intimate and the crowd was very interactive. Upon leaving I was so wired and could not help but move my hips. :) I recommend that everyone who has an open mind, an appreciation for dance, or a communal with women to attend. Not only are you supporting a great cause, but also experiencing an ancient dance style reborn.

No comments: