Monday, August 11, 2008

Seeing the light

There are many things for me to be thankful for right now...finishing my master's degree, my loving boyfriend, and the kindness of strangers. I went to see Dave Matthews this weekend, and it was an amazing experience! I had never seen them live before, and I am eager to see them again. With the thousands and thousands of people there, the concert still felt like an intimate jam session that you were lucky enough to attend.

Reeling from an excellent concert, I was very excited to return, and finish the last of my school work and revel in FINALLY finishing my master's degree, the day before my birthday none-the-less. But, fate decided to throw a bit of a wrench in my best laid plans. I was in a car accident Saturday night. It was my first when driving, and a scene that I had previously imagined in what-if scenarios came true. Of course, my car had to be towed, and I am sitting here at my house with no transportation...waiting for the claims handler to call me back (LONG WAIT). But, the accident could not have been more comforting. Nobody was injured. The police officers were gentle and helpful as I stood there shaking like a leaf. Many people stopped to help by calling the police, and being witnesses to the accident not being my fault. I felt so blessed to have the support of complete strangers. Justin came to the scene to pick me up and help out as much as he could. As soon as I saw his truck pull up, I felt safe and not so alone. He has been such a blessing in my life, and just when I needed him the most, he was there without hesitation.

When everything seems to be going perfectly, it is hard to stay upbeat when a curve ball is thrown. But, it was easier in this situation for me to "see the light" because of the kindness I felt first hand. No matter what negative signs of humanity are on display in the world, I was witness to the beauty humanity still brings, and for that I am thankful.

No comments: