Thursday, June 26, 2008

My inner Empath

I believe that everyone has a special gift that is their own. It is something that if harnessed can add so much beauty to life. I have been blessed to see some of these "gifts" in my friends and family. As ridiculous as this may sound, I swear that I have a little empath in me. I will get feelings when something just isn't right. I will have dreams, and wake up knowing something happened. I feel other people's emotions in the pit of my stomach. In fact, when the emotions of others pile up, it almost brings me down.

I want to help those who are hurting, and assist in fixing anything that may be wearing on their hearts. But, sometimes I just can't, and I find that so frustrating. Since my last post, one of my friends sent me a letter like no other I have received. He has always been a rock for me. One that I never imagined could break, but he broke down in the letter. I can't do anything directly to help because of his current circumstances. I could feel his pain through the paper, and I just started crying. Another of my close friends called me today, and it is as if her whole world is crumbling. I tried everything I could to give her focus and peace, but my words could not bring her comfort.

I have lit my hope candle more times this week than I have since I purchased it. The candle has been an extension of my heart, when I just can't bear all the weight. I know that some of you have a candle of your own, and I would love for you to light it for my dear friends who are suffering right now.

Whether I have an inner empath or not, I know that the ability to feel and empathize with other people is a raw and amazing aspect of human nature.

No comments: