Sunday, November 4, 2007

Ever ready enough?

I am sitting here with some extra time on my hands, because I forgot to set the clocks back last night. It has been awhile since I have felt like I actually had extra time. Most of my days are spent rushing from here to there, and then finally crashing into bed at night. On Wednesday, I will be picking up my cousin from the airport. It is that time of year again for the annual cousin reunion. I look at my busy week with nervous anticipation. Am I going to be able to get everything done? Will my house be clean enough? Will I find time to go to the grocery store between now and Wednesday? I am a perfectionist by nature, which can be a good thing, but at times when I am expecting company, it can be rather stressful. I am not sure if a friend has ever seen my house as the complete disaster it can be at times. Why am I not able to just let go? I am beginning to realize that the cousin reunion is truly just a precursor to the busy holiday season. Last year I pretty much had all of my shopping done by now...and this year all I have done is order my Christmas cards. I have been neglecting emails, and phone calls that need to be made. When times would get stressful at school, one of my teacher friends would say.."everything will get done". She was right, everything always got done. It is just hard to see that at the time when the "to do" list seems too long. I do not make New Years resolutions because I can't handle the disappointment when I do not follow through...so instead I am going to make a holiday resolution. Tis the season to let perfection slip to the wayside, be comfortable if the house is not clean enough, make smaller "to do" lists so that they can be completed more quickly, and most importantly remember that EVERYTHING WILL GET DONE.

No comments: