Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Mirror

I was standing in front of the mirror getting ready the other morning, and as I got closer, I began noticing wrinkles. I wondered where they came from...have they always been that defined? Then it hit me, these past few weeks I have been feeling less than youthful, and the wrinkles were just the icing on my "almost 30 cake". I even consulted my friend Jen on wrinkle creams, assuming that now is the time I need to invest in those kind of skin care products.

I have been stressed with my job and my work out routine disappeared some time in the fall, so that probably has something to do with it. I also think about my younger hot boyfriend, and panic, because I can't start looking "old" now! :) I have always looked younger than I am, and I never fret pulling out my ID for those adult beverages. In fact, I smile, and say "thank you!"

I didn't think I would have issues with turning 30 (still months away), but I guess I am. I look at the many people I know that are in their 30's and I have always pictured that time to be the best years life has to offer. So, why am I freaking out??? My logical side tries to remind myself that I am only as old as I feel, and that I have so much to look forward to in my 30's. But, my irrational side is trying to slow down those sands of time so that I can mentally catch up.

So, I fall back on the timeless song "Landslide" by Stevie Nicks, which has been my longstanding favorite. I too face the mountain and wonder if "the child within my heart (can) rise above".

No comments: