Monday, March 16, 2009

Darius Goes West


I first heard of this movie through a local radio station that was conducting a live interview. The story was so moving, that it made me want to experience more. I went to the website for Darius Goes West and ordered a copy of the movie where majority of the proceeds go to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy research.

I just finished watching the movie, and I can not say enough wonderful things about this documentary. They take you on a journey into the life of a teenager dealing with a fatal disease. But, in his eyes, all you see is the happiness and joy of just being alive. His message speaks volumes not only to other people struggling with disabilities, but to anyone who has fallen on difficult times. His message is of life, living it to the fullest, and most importantly that one person can be a "vehicle" for change.

Their goal is to educate and sell a million copies of the movie in a year so that maybe, in our lifetime, there will be a cure. I highly recommend buying a DVD and experiencing this inspirational story for yourself. Enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

Logan Smalley said...

Hey, this is Logan the director of the film. Thank you so much for this very eloquent blog post!

I see that you are a teacher. I just wanted to let you know that we have free lesson plans for every subject on our website (they are in the forum).

Also, I hope you are aware that as part of a student led initiative, a DVD just reached the guidance office of every public middle school and high school in the country. We're hoping all the students will join the forum.

Exciting times! Thanks for being a part of them!

Amy said...

Thank you for your response, it was very thoughtful of you! Unfortunately, I teach in an elementary school so they do not have a copy of the movie. I will be checking with the middle school to see if they have shown it, and if not, I will make the suggestion. I teach in a low income school, and they truly need positive people such as Darius and the rest of you to have as role models. Thanks for all you are doing! Such an inspiration! :)