Sunday, May 2, 2010

Double Doula

I have been a doula for five years now, but this was the first time I was a doula for a close friend. I found it much harder to be completely objective with someone I know personally and love. I felt apprehensive with every intervention she received...even though I knew that most of the interventions she received have become "hospital norms". I was angry with her doctor and some of the nurses because I was so fearful that one of their procedures would cause my friend or her baby harm. This strong protective instinct I think caused me to be a less effective doula. In the end, both my friend and her baby were happy and healthy.

My friend thanked me for the help, gave me a lovely Things Remembered doula bracelet, and continues to call my hands "magic"...so I guess I did an okay job. It is just my inner perfectionist that wanted to give her the same objective doula experience that others have had. But, in the end, a happy mom, dad, and baby is what matters most!

No comments: